Monday 19 March 2012

March 20

Spring reminds me of the summer and what's to come, as well as last year's spring season. The wet moisture sticking to your skin, cool crisp air unique to the season, and brown grass never fails to remind me that times are changing, and it's no longer winter. The season prompts me to think about how sterile winter is in comparison to the vividness and energy of spring. It's that energy and feeling of being alive and active that makes spring my favourite season. I love the spurts of green that pop up in some of the most unusual of places. The rain and showers bring something different to the air. It's as if the oxygen I breathe is infused with the sweet scent of nature and freshness. I find it extremely hard not to think of the season as rejuvenating and similar to a fresh start. Even in the fall where the air is cool, and in summer when it's humid, it's never the same as the air in spring. Even if these two qualities were combined, there would still be that extra newness to the season that cannot be rivaled. I like to think it's because the scent of plants, earth, and growth has been absent during winter, allowing those scents to become all the more striking. The melting snow brings that crispness to the season with that touch of cool of winter that still lingers. The wet pavement underneath your feet releases splashes of water that continuously appear to cleanse the ground, while puddles bring a certain fascination of mine to mind. when the wind stirs the surface of water collected in ditches, no matter how dirty the water is, I'm reminded of lakes, ponds, rivers, and brooks. They have a huge calming effect. Perhaps the most prominent feature of spring, or at least for me, are the short periods of time before and after a shower or rain. I can feel the amount of moisture reaching a climax leading up to rain  that brings a lucidness to the atmosphere, like tension building up into excitement. When the rain is released, it feels as if that tension is released and the air is left smelling like pure fresh rain. The raindrops are like orbs or crystals that fall in showers and cascade over the land, and bathed in the sunlight, it brings an ethereal quality. As cool rainwater collects on my palm, it feels like silk or a gentle caress, leaving me feeling soothed and fresh. Plants are plump with juices and feel tender and fragile to the touch. Opening your mouth in spring allows an invasion of moisture and a feeling of cleanliness to wash over. The taste is one of pureness and fresh life. Birds break into song and somehow their sweet tinkling notes raise my spirits and remind me once again that spring is here and winter is past. The sweet melodies transport me back to the previous year's birds and how they became so active and spirited. Spring is in my opinion a time that affords me the most opportunities to reminisce on the past and look forward to a new start. During spring storms, I love the sounds and smells, and especially the thought of myself being safe and sound indoors while a storm rages on outside. I've found that this comforts me and also surprisingly helps lull me to sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment